POSITION: technical support Engineer
LOCATION: shanghai/Qingdao, China
JOB TYPE: IT Support
COMPANY: Global terminal operation solution provider
We are looking for a dynamic individual with a proven track record of success as a technical support Engineer within the software industry. You will be working in a customer support environment, consulting with customers, handling cases and providing fixes to problems as well as liaising with the development team for more complex fixes.
- Product issues are reported and recorded by customers via the company website, and are then assigned to a support engineer to resolve. The assigned Support Engineer is responsible for managing the case from beginning through to resolution and closure via the other departments such as Sustaining (Development), QA Testing and Product release.
- Support internally developed software applications and provide assistance in troubleshooting customers systems issues as they pertain to their use of company's products.
- Support role mainly consists of verifying, reproducing and isolating application defects or faults reported by the customers. Although the role does not call for any development work to be performed, it helps to have the ability to debug the software application and step through the code to isolate and understand potential cause of a problem. Java, Groovy and/or other programming language experience is a plus.
- Application defects are normally reproduced in a lab environment using copies of the datasets supplied by the customer. If this is unsuccessful, then remote connections are established to the customers test environment to allow the engineer to isolate issues further.
- Customers can also raise “question type” cases which often require detailed investigation work to be carried out in order to provide an answer. Reference sources include manuals, the case management tool (for searching for other logged cases), the application code, and Escalation Engineers or Product Engineering, who have spent several years supporting the products.
- On-site customer facing work includes work on upgrading company's software or hardware, and helping to resolve any critical defects or faults that could not be reproduced off site, and testing the integrations of the company's products with other 3rd party systems.
- Participate in software implementations and upgrades at customer's facilities as needed.
- Participate in a global 24×7 on-call duty roaster to manage and work on Critical issues (participation occurs up to 4 times annually).
- Account management work on assigned accounts such as conducting weekly conference calls, case reviews, etc.
- A degree in computer science or equivalent education and experience.
- 3-6 years related technical support experience and/or related application support experience in container terminal, shipping line or logistic industries. Experience with automation terminal is a plus.
- Detailed knowledge and experience in any combination of the following systems platform technologies is essential – Windows server including clustering and VMWare, Networking technologies especially TCPIP, Linux (or other flavor of UNIX), MS sql server, Oracle, and desirable are Java, EDI, Spring, Hibernate and or J2EE.
- Hands-on experience of API's, XML, JAVA, APACHE and client-server apps.
- Setup customer environment as needed for problem replication (i.e.: perform installation and configuration of software patches for Oracle/Unix based, C++, Pascal, and J2EE based software products etc.).
- Knowledge and experience in writing code using Groovy /Core Java extensions is a plus.
- Knowledge of Hyperic or other diagnostic tools will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of relational database structures, web-based enterprise solutions and technologies
- A strong and inherent customer service/technical support orientation.
APTITUDE & ATTITUDE REQUIREMENTS:
- An analytical approach and interest in solving difficult problems.
- Strong technical and troubleshooting skills in several applications and technologies.
- Detail oriented, hardworking and self-motivated.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Chinese.
- Must be willing to travel based on business needs and have the ability to work extended hours under tight deadlines to successfully meet objectives.
- Ability to work independently and enjoy teamwork especially in relation to multi-disciplinary virtual teams in disparate geographical locations.